(1) CLIPPING FROM VIRGINIA NEWSPAPER, Probably the Whig, in May, 1864. While the officer is not identified the author is certainly Lt. Col. Robert Hardaway, or someone who wrote for Hardaway, his having been wounded on May 12.
(2) Captain Benjamin H. Smith commanding the 3rd Company of the Richmond Howitzers.
(3) Lieutenant Reade was the Adjutant of the 3rd Company of the Richmond Howitzers.
(4) the officer is talking about the reentrant line, #3 in the LIDAR above.
(5) Smith’s battery had its guns divided into a Napoleon section and a rifled section. The two guns described here are the rifled section, 2- 3″ rifles.